«Care of the Self in Pedagogics, Sociology and Psychology: Historical Past and Actual Present»
National Research University Higher School of Economics/ Faculty of Social Sciences/ School of Sociology and International Laboratory of Positive Psychology of Personality and Motivation, Russian State University for the Humanities, Volgograd State Socio-Pedagogical University, Institute for Strategy and Theory of Education, The Community of Professional Sociologists in memory of sociologist, psychologist, philosopher Galina Ivanchenko (1965 – 2009) will held in 10 – 12 September 2015 an International Research Conference «Care of the Self in Pedagogics, Sociology and Psychology: Historical Past and Actual Present»/
The concept of "the care of the self / self-care", updated in the works of Martin Heidegger, Pierre Hadot, Michel Foucault, regains the ability to become one of the basic one in social sciences. The human mind turns to self-care as an ontological category for the existence of society and personality. The conference is focused on the identifying of the opportunities for the integration of historical, theoretical and practical discourses that contribute to deepen the understanding of "self-care" - the imperative phenomenon, values, goals, and strategies.
At the conference we plan to discuss the problems of historical and contemporary conceptualization of the philosophical-pedagogical category "self-care", to identify the methodological basis of its interpretation and the specific use of different theoretical frameworks and disciplinary fields, when pedagogy and culture determine the person as a student and teacher at the same time, providing the transformation, self-development and self actualization throughout his/her life.
We plan to combine historical, theoretical and practical discourses that contribute to deepen the understanding of the specifics of institutional and extra-institutional conceptualization of the notions of "care of oneself" as a cultural phenomenon. The dates of the conference are connected to the 50th anniversary of the Russian philosopher, psychologist, and teacher Galina Ivanchenko (1965-2009),who substantiated the possibility of considering the category of "caring for yourself" as an interdisciplinary, outlined approaches to psycho-pedagogical interpretation of the texts from different cultures and eras in her last the lifetime monograph "Taking Care of the Self: History and Modernity". Studying and development of scientific heritage of G.Ivanchenko is one of the most important tasks of the proposed conference.
Topics for discussion:
- The creative legacy of Galina Ivanchenko’s heritage: a multidisciplinary approach to the care of the self.
- "Epimeleia heautou" in the history of pedagogical, psychological, social sciences and philosophy.
- "Care of the Self" in historical perspective: the ideal of care in Antiquity, the Middle Ages, in the Modernity and Postmodern times.
- The conceptualization of the category “epimeleia heautou”, “cura sui”, "self-care", “care of/for (the) self”, “le souci de soi”, “Selbstsorge”, “die Sorge um sich (selbst)”, “Selbstkultivierung”,“cuidado de sí”, “la cura di sé”, etc.
- Methodological problems and prospects of research of the phenomenon of "epimeleia heautou".
- Taking “care of the self" as a guideline for development of education (from preschool to lifelong learning).
- Moral aspects of self-caring and caring of other.
- Practices of self-care: medical, pedagogical and social aspects.
- "Care of the Self" in the triangle between general, vocational, and philosophical education: "the way of life” and goal setting in training and education.
- Self-education and self-actualization. The formation of the ability of the care of the self in different age cohorts.
- High school as the most important stage in the education for care of oneself as the basis of autodidactic and self-education.
- Lifelong education as an important aspect of care of the self. The interaction of educational and other biographical strategies.